recant...Is Mr. Terpening really not guilty, or is this another stunt?
A key witness in the sex abuse case of Michael Terpening took to the airwaves and the internet stating former Earth Services leader, Michael Terpening did not sexually abuse him. Rodney, we do not use victim last names, is believed to be Resident A, as identified a Department of Human Services facility licensing report, who kicked off the investigation leading to the eventual arrest of Michael Terpening for abusing young men in the care of Earth Services, a child welfare agency Terpening led in Barry County.
The so-called Justice for Michael Terpening Facebook page posted this letter January 18, 2012. We've only redacted names, not the poor grammar and positioning of periods on the Facebook page. Importantly, Rodney claims, "In July of 2011 I went to see Joe Eldred, Michael Terpening's attorney. I made a statement at that time, under oath and notarized" He goes on to say, "In September I was called to take the stand against Michael Terpening, they (the prosecutor) continued with their threat of perjury charges. Finally, Rodney tells us, "With the threat of Prosecution, I told a lie under oath on stand."
This statement raises questions about the credibility of the so called, "Justice for Michael Terpening" Facebook page and the defendant, himself.
- Why is Rodney speaking through the Justice for Michael Terpening Facebook page?
- Assuming the defense has a notarized sworn statement, meaning to lie on that statement would, itself, constitute perjury; why is the Facebook page not releasing the actual notarized statement by this so-called recanting witness?
- If accepted as fact, the defense had a notarized statement dated July 2011, why was Rodney not challenged on the stand at the September 2012 Preliminary Hearing with the sworn notarized statement?
- Why is the written letter not consistent with the video recant? There is information in both not contained in the other . This is particularly interesting when one sees Rodney reading from what appears to be a paper in his lap and when we remember someone whispered to Rodney reminding him to mention something he seemingly forgot.
- Neither the written nor the video recants address facts in the case. The police are not constructing this case from, "Rodney said" and now that he says otherwise the case is gone. Rodney, himself, brings up DNA evidence in the video and appears to prepare us for Michael Terpening's DNA to be found when he alludes to the Terpenings having sex in the building where the alleged assaults took place. There are witnesses to Michael Terpening and Rodney to being in the building where Rodney claims the last assault took place, and we know Michael Terpening denied being in the building along with Rodney. (see the DHS report)
- How could the state police lead Rodney when they have no knowledge Rodney's conspiracy directed at Terpening?
- The MLIVE.com comment suggests Terpening adds to the reported story by saying, "The young man that talked Mr. Xxxxx (referring to Rodney) in to this has done this 7 other proven times!" How does Terpening know who talked Rodney into doing the recant? How does he even know it happened? Who is this person? See Michael Terpening's comment on MLIVE [GO]